Lead Partner : Institute of Chemical Engineering Sciences, Foundation for Research and Technology-Hellas, Greece Click here
The Institute of Chemical Engineering Sciences (ICE-HT) was established in 1984, as an Independent Academic Institute (initially under the name Institute of Chemical engineering and High Temperature Chemical Processes). In 1987 ICE-HT became one of the founding Institutes of FORTH (Foundation for Research and Technology, Hellas). FORTH comprises six Research Institutes (4 in Heraklion, 1 in Rethymnon, and 1 in Patras) and has been classified in all previous research assessments as "the first Research Centre in the whole of Greece". FORTH reports directly to the General Secretariat for Research and Technology (GSRT) of the Hellenic Ministry of Education, Research and Religious Affairs. The six Research Institutes of FORTH cooperate creatively as an integrated network for RTD. During its operation ICE-HT has been developed into a world-leading centre for the advancement of high quality scientific knowledge in the fields of chemical engineering sciences. Currently, ICE-HT runs ca 46 RTD projects in cooperation with numerous industrial enterprises, universities and research institutes from Greece, as well as from other EU-member countries, USA, Japan, etc. These projects are funded by national and EU competitive R&D programs, and also directly by industrial enterprises.
ICE-HT Mission Statement
- Forefront scientific research;
- Cooperation with industrial companies in EU and other countries;
- Development of innovative technological products, key enabling technologies (KETs) and production processes;
- Participation in the creation of spin-off companies;
- Cooperation with other research & development organizations;
- Training and advanced education of new researchers;
- Active participation in the development of the Region of Western Greece;
- Significant contribution to the technological and economic growth of Greece.
PP2: Municipality of Andrichaina/Krestena, Greece Click here
Andritsaina–Krestena is a municipality in the Elia regional unit, West Greece region, Greece. The seat of the municipality is the town Krestena.The municipality has an area of 422.334 km2. The municipality Andritsaina–Krestena was formed at the 2011 local government reform by the merger of the following 3 former municipalities, that became municipal units: Alifeira, Andritsaina and Skillounta.
PP3: Cyprus University of Technology,Cyprus Click here
The Cyprus University of Technology aspires to develop itself into a modern, pioneering University able to offer education and high level research in leading branches of science and technology which have high impact on the economic, technical, and scientific sectors. With its orientation towards applied research, the University aspires to establish for itself a role in support of the state and society in their efforts to confront problems, which cover all areas of science and technology. The programmes of the CUT to a large extent complement scientific areas, which are not currently covered at Undergraduate and Postgraduate levels by the University of Cyprus or any other institution of higher education in the country. The Cyprus University of Technology was founded by law on December 2003 and welcomed its first students on September 2007. The Cyprus University of Technology is based at the city of Limassol, where all six faculties are located.
PP4: Regional Development Agency Paphos Aphrodite LTD , Cyprus Click here
The Full name of the Organization is “Pafos Development Company Aphrodite LTD” and its abbreviation is ANETPA. It is a legal entity which is registered and operates under the provisions of the Companies Law, CAP 113., and is registered in Department of Registrar of Companies and Official Receiver registered under the number ΗΕ 232487. The company’s Legal Status, as a Limited Liability Company by shareholders, highlights the company’s nature as a private company of “public interest”. The company’s aims are the support of growth and development activities of the Local Government, of the social and private sector, the provision of specialized services and the creation of the necessary prerequisites for the proportional growth of the company’s area of jurisdiction. The aforementioned pinpoint the need for the function of the company in business terms, its economic wellbeing and the key role it has played so far and will continue to play in the efforts for the growth of rural areas within the Pafos District. After all, it is a non-profit company and any profits are not distributed among shareholders, instead they are reinvested in the growth and development of the areas under the Company’s jurisdiction.
The role of the Pafos Development Company Aphrodite LTD
The company’s aims and vision is to become the link and key economic and social partner between the rural communities of the District and the National and European Authorities with the aim of decisively assisting in the growth and development of the those rural communities.
Hence, the Pafos Development Company Aphrodite LTD:
• Supports local authorities and organizations in their efforts to plan and execute developmental works in the area.
• Focuses its efforts in the promotion of the local economy
• It aims to create the necessary potential for the establishment and use of new and innovative technological methods which will help local producers and the local economy to expand its client base nationally and internationally.
• Aims to take advantage and publicize developmental opportunities.
• Looks into in what would be the most appropriate ways in utilizing the local resources for the promotion of the local economy and the betterment of the local society and its cultural activities.
• It acts as a means to regionally and internationally promote its area of responsibility
• It aims to help in the betterment of the local development index
PP5: Agricultural University of Tirana, Albania Click here
The Agricultural University of Tirana (AUT) is the unique center for undergraduate and graduate studies, scientific research, training and extension in the area of agriculture and food (Agronomy, Horticulture and Plant Protection, Agribusiness, Economy and Agrarian Policy, Agro-environment and Ecology, Agro-food Technology, Animal Husbandry and Business, Aquaculture and Fishery Management, Forestry Engineering, Veterinary Medicine, etc.
Actually it is organized by five faculties:
- Faculty of Economy and Agribusiness;
- Faculty of Agriculture and Environment;
- Faculty of Forestry Sciences;
- Faculty of Veterinary Medicine;
- Faculty of Biotechnology and Food, with about 15.000 students. 55 professors compose actual academic staff, 48 associated professors, 55 doctors, 13 pedagogues – lecturers and 64 assistants.
Faculty of Economy & Agribusiness (EAF) has relatively new life. It was founded in the year 1971 (at that time faculty of Agrarian Economy). Former faculty of Agrarian Economy was called as such since the end of the year 1994, during that time entire restructuring of Agriculture University of Tirana was done. This restructuring lead in merger of this faculty within framework of Agriculture Faculty with two departments, respectively; Department of “Farm & Agribusiness Management” and Department of “Economy & Rural Development Policies”. Restructuring began in 1994 and ended in 1998, and was the result of close advice from SARA project (American Support for Agriculture Restructuring in Albania). Its fundamental objective was answering the new requirements from the agricultural and agribusiness sector in the conditions of free market. In the year 2007, as result of restructuring of former “Agriculture Faculty”, was found faculty of “Economy & Agribusiness” with six departments: Department of “Agribusiness Management”, Department of “Economy & Rural Development Policies” , Department of “Finance and Accounting”, Department of “Rural Tourism”, Department of “Business Informatics” and Department of “ Applied Economics”. Faculty of Economy & Agribusiness has actually 12 professors, 10 associated professors, 14 doctors, 4 pedagogues – lecturers and 22 assistants. Since the year 2001, AUT has been involved with a new restructuring process according to the "Bologna Declaration". Starting from the academic year 2005-2006, AUT is considering organizing studies in conformity with the 3+2+3 schedule (Bachelor, Master and PhD). Scientific research at AUT is considered an essential component of the academic life and a concrete contribution to the progress of Albanian agriculture, as well. Scientific research has been conducted through participation in: national projects, projects undertaken by the National Agency for Environment; bilateral projects with Greek and Italian government; DAD projects; NATO projects; IMG Tempus projects; World Bank projects; and projects for research and development which were funded by the Albanian government. As the major center for education and scientific research in the area of agriculture and food, AUT has been the initiator of establishing research-production links.
These links have been materialized through the signing of "Memorandum of Understanding" with Albanian business. EAF has clearly defined nine research areas as scientific priorities, which are as follow:
1. Strategies and policies of integrated rural development.
2. Regional development and inter - regional integration policies.
3. Agricultural policies and their evaluation analysis.
4. Management strategies of inputs and outputs in agriculture.
5. Management strategies and policies of agribusiness.
6. Strategies and policies of farmers integration into markets.
7. Management and marketing problems in the values chain.
8. Fanancing strategies and policies of private enterprises in the benefit of their sustainable development.
9. Strategies and policies of rural tourism development
PP6: (OP) Institute of Environment and Sustainable Development, Cyprus Click here
The Institute for Environment and Sustainable Development (IESD is an NGOs organization, targeting to provide a reference point between scientific knowledge and evidence-based suggestions and proposals on environmental issues, sustainable development issues and related policies. The aim is to provide documented positions and proposals for the promotion and formulation of good environmental policies. The IESD is a non-profit organization with a 10-member Board of Directors and is scientifically supported by a wide range of scientists, of various specialties, on a voluntary basis. In order to achieve its goals, the Institute seeks to:
- Promote awareness of the risks of environmental degradation
- Conduct awareness programs
- Promote a public debate to understand the broader impacts of environmental policies under formulation
- provide advice to public and private bodies
- Bring together politicians and the general public to discuss and develop the environmental policies on development issues and projects
- Encourage the effective implementation by the general public of all environmental regulations and laws that have been or will be enacted
- Accumulate information and set up information banks on environmental and sustainable development issues
The Institute formulate and promote policies and infrastructures for a number of environmental issues such as
- Protection of all natural resources
- Climate change
- Rational development and use of water resources and ensuring their sustainable management
- Installation of Wastewater treatment systems in Rural and Urban areas
- Integrated solid waste management and resource efficiency, combining policy measures to reduce waste generation, encourage reuse and recycling and integrated management of the biodegradable fraction.
- Integrated management of hazardous waste, and creation of hazardous waste reception and management areas
- Installation of drainage systems and rational management
- The use of treated wastewater for irrigation purposes, and their inclusion in the water balance, where feasible, in order to save good quality water and minimize the need for installation of new desalination
- Energy saving measures
- Renewable Energy Sources (RES) and support of the autonomy and security of energy supply using natural gas and RES
- Sustainable transport infrastructure by applying new technologies with clean fuels and reduced pollutants
- Atmospheric pollution
- Environmental risk prevention and response and promote the improvement of the efficiency of public administration and the Integrated protection and management of nature, habitats and biodiversity; Establishment and support of management bodies for protected areas and areas of ecological interest,
- Administrative efficiency and capacity of the agencies, and involvement of all stakeholders, citizens, businesses, etc. Compensatory measures for owners of protected areas to eliminate violation of ownership rights
- Urban development - promotion of policies and implementation of urban planning
- Urban Environment - Promoting the development of environmentally sensitive, well- designed and built cities with good connections, well-served and fair for all
- Research and Technology – support science to be able to provide knowledge, understanding and tools to ensure good environmental and sustainability
- Agricultural policy to promote the growth of environmentally friendly crops (organic Desertification
- Tourism – promote the planning of tourism development, taking into account the interest of the environment and the economy
- European Union - - promotion of policies and implementation of all policies and legislation on sustainable management, prevention, protection and restoration of the environment